Friday, October 17, 2014

Jerwood Drawing Prize 2014

Drawing is definitely my favourite! (By comparing to the subject of Len-based & Print-making) I wish I could have been more and more drawing-based exhibition! Jerwood Drawing Prize exhibition ends on 26 October 2014, so if you still haven’t been there, please go visit or you will miss a lot! Click here for more details.
IMG_8371
The first one I saw was by Alan Bond, he lives and works from St. Margaret’s House Studio in Edinburgh. He is the founder of Seven Seven Contemporary Art, which is a gallery with strong international links and private galleries. These simple airplane paintings look like prints too, and you cannot actually tell if they are really airborne or not.
IMG_8352
Alan Bond
Airborne
Watercolour and pencil

Another work that I found it so impressive was a lot of birds drawn on the cloth. I never thought of drawing on cloth but on paper only. Drawing is simple but when it comes with a special way of expression, it becomes something unique. Shivangi Ladha‘s work is about her own relationship with animals in different cultures, which based on her personal experiences, life journeys, how and what she observes. She tried to experience the environment the animals live in and made response by creating artworks. As her empathy towards animals deepens when time passes, she believes “All life forms are equal and share the same conscience”.
IMG_8364
IMG_8365
Shivangi Ladha
Shroud of sparrow
Pen on cloth

This is my favourite one from the Jerwood Drawing Prize exhibition. It is an Oak tree drawing with graphite on paper by Hannah Downing. She is a young artist who is currently studying a Master degree in Fine Art and she specialized in drawing as well as painting. She also uses collage as a way of exploring themes associated with realism. I like her works so much as you can see her drawing is so detailed and real. I can tell she spent a lot of time on her work. My works are inspired by her because I like to do my drawing with realism as well.
IMG_8367
IMG_8369
Hannah Downing
Vertical panorama: Oak tree
Graphite on paper

Jessie Brenan‘s drawing practice focuses on social history of places, and I found her work look so 3D exactly like a real historical building.
IMG_8374
Jessie Brennan
Apostelstraat 20
Graphite on paper
I can’t wait to see the next Jerwood Drawing Prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment