Friday, October 17, 2014

Visiting Tate Britain in London

IMG_8281IMG_8282
I went to Tate Britain for the Exhibition of Late Turner and Turner Prize. I got the combination ticket for £14.50 (without donation) which is cheaper than a single one. Unfortunately, it is not allowed to take picture in those two exhibition, so I can’t show you some great paintings from them. Late Turner is the first comprehensive exhibition devoted to Turner’s late work. If you are interested in 18th century paintings, they are 100% for you. More details please click here.
Don’t worry! I’ve still got some pictures from the permanent exhibition!
Break Off 1961 is an oil painting on canvas by Gillian Ayres, an English painter. Also, she was shortlisted for the Turner Prize in 1989.
IMG_8299
Melanie and Me Swimming 1978-9 is an acrylic painting on canvas by Michael Andrews who was a British painter. His paintings evolved from real life, such as photographs of people and places with his memories. This painting is based on a photograph of Andrews and his daughter – Melanie swimming together. I love it at first sight because I think it is so alive and I felt so warm when I saw it.
IMG_8303
Can you tell that it’s a silkscreen if I didn’t mention? I thought it is a photographic instead! This is an acrylic screen-printing by John Stezaker in 1978-9. This art piece goes straight to my inspiration both for photography and print-making! He is a British conceptual artist.
IMG_8308
The last piece I found it really interesting is a photograph by Mona Hatoum in 1985 named as Performance Still, and Hatoum later did a gelatin silver print and mounted on aluminium on paper in 1995. She is a video and installation artist who currently lives in London. There is a lot of meanings behind this simple picture which is somehow inspired me, and I believe that different viewers could gain something different too.
IMG_8310
I am gonna be the one who is leading those shoes instead of being their follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment