Friday, October 10, 2014

Life Drawing Focusing on Form

Today’s lesson was all about form rather than line in drawing. I found it quite hard for me because I always focused on drawing the outline, but you know, line doesn’t exist, all we can see is the shape of an object. I get the meaning actually, but I just can’t stop focusing on the outline…
Today’s drawing lesson was all about form rather than line. Line does not exist, all we can see is the shape of an object, which is so true. I found this lesson really helpful for me because I always focus on drawing the outline of something, and this class made me understand why I should not always focus on line but something else, like form. However, it was quite hard for me not to focus on lines because I got used to it, I just couldn’t help focusing on the outline. Well, don’t worry! Everything is going to be fine! I know that practice makes perfect!
The one was some practices on life drawing at the beginning of the lesson. I first started drawing in the centre, and I realized my biggest problem in drawing should be the scale! I didn’t make use of the page! So, I started to drawing another one on the left hand side which was much better (bigger) than the middle one. Also, the one on the right hand side was a correction by one of my classmates. You can actually see we have different drawing style.
IMG_8021
I tried using my ‘wrong hand’ which is my left hand to do the life drawing again. I think I made it a lot better this time. (At least you can tell I was drawing a nude model. LOL) Why could I not make them vertical? I couldn’t look at my page that much while I was drawing should be the main reason! (Oh yeah! I got an excuse for that.)
Upper: Two life drawings with right hand
Lower: Life drawing with left hand
IMG_8022
IMG_8023
After doing some practices in life drawing, now it was time to start doing something different which focused on form instead. I found it really really hard to do that at the very first beginning as I can’t help drawing the outline instead of the shape of something I saw at that moment. So I guess the first one I did was totally failed. LOL
IMG_8024
And the second one should be much better, right?
IMG_8025
The last one I showed here was my favourite drawing from today’s lesson. We all were told to use soft charcoal to make the whole paper blackened. I first thought it was so weird because I didn’t know what it was going on, and I have never done any drawings like that before, but then I found it very interesting because I could use a rubber as a pencil here to ‘draw’ something. Since everything turned opposite to a negative side, shadows and the forms would be more important! I couldn’t believe that I could do that by using an eraser as my drawing tool to draw! It was so exciting that I could try something new for the first time.
IMG_8027
P.S. I should do some more practices on drawing something without focusing on outline but form and shape only. HURRAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment